Friday, July 24, 2009

Stargate: Universe

On the side of my blog I've a list of my favorite TV shows. One of the shows I've been debating on whether or not to put on that list is Stargate: SG-1, starring Richard Dean Anderson. I've been slowly making my way through the 1st season and I've seen a number of episodes from the rest of the series. It's been hard for me to make it through the entire first season because it hasn't quite come together for me yet, but there are a number of really good episodes that I've seen from the rest of the series that have pulled me in.

SG-1 ran for (I believe) 10 seasons, lasting longer and airing more episodes then any of the five Star Trek series. It spawned a spin-off series called Stargate: Atlantis that last somewhere around five or six seasons. I've seen episodes of Atlantis as well, and I've enjoyed it very much. I haven't listed either series yet because I don't feel I've seen enough to really say it's one of my favorite shows.

Over the last few weeks, I've seen and heard bits and pieces about another Stargate series that is to start airing in October called Stargate: Universe, and I recently discovered this trailer online.



I'm rather impressed with how this series looks. However, I do have a couple of reservations. One of those reservations is that it looks like a hybrid of several previously down TV shows. One, the concept sounds a lot like Star Trek: Voyager, my least favorite of all the Star Trek series. That concept is not original to Voyager though, because I know that it goes back to Lost in Space. My concern is that this could go very much like Voyager did, although from what I've seen and read, that might not happen. However, things do and happen behind the scenes, so you never know what direction it could go.

My other reservation is that it looks like it might be a copy of Battlestar Galactica. BSG is one of my favorite TV shows and is, I feel, one of the best shows on TV in recent years. While following the tone of BSG isn't necessarily a bad thing, my concern is that it might come across as more of a copy of BSG then as its own series. I hope that isn't the case, because I'd like to see this show do well.

Stargate: Universe definitely has my interest. I'd like to see it not copy Battlestar Galactica, and I hope it becomes the show that Star Trek: Voyager should have been. Time will tell, and I hope I'll be able to watch it regularly!

edited in after I posted
*Ironically, when I first tested to make sure the video did link, the "message from our sponsor" video that ran before the actual preview itself was for the new DVD set for Battlestar Galactica! I don't know if you will all see that, but if you do, you'll get the irony as much as I do, and hopefully see how similar in tone it looks to BSG!

No comments: