Monday, April 27, 2009

Is This a Good Sign?

I for one don't view box office receipts as being a way to measure the quality of a movie. After all, The Phantom Menace made over $400 million but was not a good movie. It is, in fact, the only Star Wars movie that is not a part of my DVD collection. However, I do know that in order for there to be further incarnations of a favorite film/TV franchise, there must be success in the box office.

As much as I'd like to say I don't care whether or not Star Trek is successful just as long as it's good, I want to see more! So I care about both.

A year ago, a little movie called Iron Man opened to almost $100 million its opening weekend and went on to gross $318 million domestically, second in 2008 only to another little movie called The Dark Knight. A lot of that success was to due advanced ticket sales. So is this article any indication of good things to come?

2 comments:

Dave said...

Wow...four posts in four days....I love it.

Evie said...

Has the Writing Bug bitten you?